DOWNIE WENJACK Respects Your Right to Privacy
Your privacy and security are important to us. The Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund (hereinafter referred to as “we” or “Downie Wenjack”). Downie Wenjack respects your right to privacy and is committed to protecting the personal information you provide to us. We use the information collected through our Website to facilitate donation collection and processing, to provide tax receipts, to process online account registrations and to communicate relevant news and updates. Downie Wenjack does not trade, license, rent or sell your personal information in any manner.
Privacy Statement and Summary
General Privacy Practices
Downie Wenjack observes the following privacy practices:
- Downie Wenjack collects information only for specified purposes.
- We only require that you provide the necessary amount of personal information to provide any service, as required by law or by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- We may ask you for more information about yourself to help us provide you with more personalized information and services, but in such cases, you are not obligated to provide such information.
- Personal information gathered by Downie Wenjack is held in the strictest confidence and is protected by industry standard best practices.
- In certain instances, Donors are able to restrict the amount of information shared. In doing so, Downie Wenjack may not be able to provide certain services that require personal information. Downie Wenjack will inform you of the implications of opting out.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is defined as any information about an identifiable individual including information that can be used to recognize, identify or contact a specific individual, whether it concerns an email address, where an individual resides, or which interests, causes and organizations he or she supports. Personal information does not include most business contact information such as the name, title, business address, or business telephone or fax number or business email address of an employee of an organization, and certain publicly available information.
Links to Third Party Sites
Downie Wenjack is committed to the following 11 privacy principles under PIPEDA:
- Downie Wenjack is responsible for personal information in our custody or under our control and we have designated a Privacy Official who is accountable for Downie Wenjack’s compliance with PIPEDA. There are other individuals within Downie Wenjack who are responsible for day to day collection and management of personal information.
2. Identifying Purposes
Downie Wenjack collects and uses personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide tax receipts when users make an online donation or use other services.
- To allow users to create or register for a Downie Wenjack account and to manage those accounts.
- To administer pre-authorized recurring donations.
- To generate statistics and aggregate reports for internal and external use.
- To communicate directly with users, including through Downie Wenjack service news and updates, charitable promotions, charitable stories we think will be of interest to you, or other forms of communications.
- To provide client support and help.
3. Consent to use your personal information
- Downie Wenjack collects personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it or otherwise only with your consent as required by PIPEDA or by other applicable law.
- We will not, as a condition of the supply of our service, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the explicitly specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
- A user may withdraw his or her consent to use his or her personal information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please contact the Privacy Official of Downie Wenjack as described below. We will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent.
- If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in more personalized information and services, you may unsubscribe by following the directions provided with the communication.
4. Limiting Collection
Downie Wenjack limits the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose. The types of information Downie Wenjack collects can be summarized as follows:
- Personal Information provided to Downie Wenjack:Downie Wenjack collects certain personal information directly from individuals who interact with our Website or otherwise with us, including the following:
- Contact information (such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number);
- Financial and billing information (such as credit card number/expiration date, broker and financial advisor information);
- Donation history (such as amount donated);
- Tax receipt information; and
- Account username and password information.
- Non-Personal Information:When donors, volunteers, charities and other organizations access the secure section of our Website, anonymous, non-personal information about their visit is automatically collected. This information may include the date of the visit, how the visitor uses the Website, the length of the visit, what pages the visitor viewed, the type of browser and operating system being used, and the domain name of the visitor’s Internet service provider. Downie Wenjack may also collect statistics that describe how our visitors use our site. This information might include the average donation amount, the geographic breakdown of donations by area, and what times of the day have the heaviest traffic. This information, collected in the aggregate, allows Downie Wenjack to better serve donors. None of these statistics reveal any personally-identifiable or individual information and Downie Wenjack does not use any of this information to identify individuals. In certain cases, for the purposes of fraud detection and mitigation, IP addresses are collected in order to protect Downie Wenjack against possible illegal activities.
- Cookie-based Information:When our clients, donors, volunteers, and other constituents access the secure section of our Website, a small text file called a “cookie” is sent from our web server to their web browser and is stored on their computer. Cookies allow us to recognize users while he or she is logged into the Downie Wenjack Website. Cookies expire when the browser window is closed. Session Cookies employed by Downie Wenjack are strictly used to perform the function that the user intended, such as keeping the user logged into the service in a secure fashion and processing transactions and gathering donations. Some browsers can be set to reject all cookies. If you choose to modify your browser in this manner, some pages of this website may not function properly.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- Downie Wenjack does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law.
- Downie Wenjack does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
- Downie Wenjack may have to disclose personal information to satisfy a law, regulation or government request, or to satisfy a subpoena, search warrant or legitimate court order.
- Downie Wenjack may share personal information with third parties engaged to assist us in providing our services. Such third parties are contractually bound to protect your personal information as explained above under “Accountability.”
- Downie Wenjack reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of Downie Wenjack in order for you to continue to receive the same services from the third party.
- Downie Wenjack retains personal information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
Downie Wenjack takes reasonable effort to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes that is being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary. Downie Wenjack depends on individuals and organizations to help it in maintaining the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of the information collected. You must log-in to your Downie Wenjack online account to update, modify, correct or delete your personal information.
- Downie Wenjack makes commercially reasonable efforts to protect personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, copying, use, modification, disclosure and destruction by establishing and maintaining appropriate security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information.
- All Downie Wenjack staff members are made aware of the need to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal information. Further, staff are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained.
- Downie Wenjack uses Blackbaud Merchant Services to help ensure the safety and security of online donations.
- Downie Wenjack has thorough security standards to protect our systems and personal information against unauthorized access and use. This includes the security protections required by PCI compliance as well as specific procedures to keep donation information secure, private and in Canada.
9. Individual Access
Upon request Downie Wenjack will:
- Inform users of the existence and use of their personal information.
- Inform users whether their personal information has been disclosed to any authorized third parties.
- Provide users with access to their personal information in our custody or under our control subject to legal restrictions.
Requests are to be directed to:
Name: Privacy Official
Address: P.O. Box 749 Ohsweken, ONTARIO N0A 1M0
Downie Wenjack will make every effort to respond to requests for access to personal information in a reasonable and timely manner.
11.Canada’s Anti Spam Legislation (CASL)
Where CASL applies to Downie Wenjack’s communications with users, donors or volunteers, Downie Wenjack is committed to complying with CASL and in particular the provisions setting out the requirements for sending commercial electronic messages.